View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'd like to revive this thread. I tried using elmer's school glue to baste and sandwich a quilt. I watered it down so that it would flow smoothly and thinly and put it on my backing fabric and batting. After it dried, it made the fabric stiff...very stiff. I pulled it apart, threw away the batting and washed the backing fabric several times, line drying each time to avoid shrinking. After 5 washings, the backing fabric is still stiff with glue residue. Is my fabric now a total loss? Any other ideas on how to get this glue out? Thanks for all of your help.

~ C
i posted up thread about this but Im still going strong with glue basting. Im maybe 25-30 quilts in. Somw
of them queen sized. I do not water it down. I sit the small bottle in a bowl of very warm water which makes it drizzle easier. I just drizzle it in a
thin bead on the cotton batting - I pull down the backing or top about halfway and drizzle - if there is a glob I smooth with my finger and keep a damp
cloth handy. Then I smooth that part over
the glue. It is easy to reposition. Then slide the quilt and go around the table to other side and do the same thing. Drizzle and smooth. Then flip over and do other side. When it is dry it does not gum up the needle.

Are you sure it was the washable school glue? It always washes out of my quilts. Sometimes I presoakl them for 15 minutes. Let me know if I can help more. I have had zero issues with this.

Also it doesn’t have to cover the entire quilt. Consider it a replacement for pin basting. I do a grid or sometimes a big meander.

Last edited by Stitchnripper; 09-02-2020 at 04:15 PM.