Old 09-20-2020, 11:38 AM
SaltQveen

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
From what I've read and believe is that the best screwdrivers for these vintage machines would be the correct size of hollow ground screwdrivers.

I can't tell if the silver collar is separate from the hand wheel or not. It almost appears that it would be. I would put some oil (Tri-Flow) in the hole on the machine by the screw and if there is a separation between the silver part and hand wheel. Let set overnight, try again with a better screwdriver, so it doesn't tear it up any more. If you can clean out the slot with a toothpick or skewer or something like that, it would probably help.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
The silver collar does indeed appear to be separate. I'm now on the hunt for a hollow ground screwdriver. I plan on oiling that whole area up. Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
I have a little info I can add. D3541666 was made late 1909 to early 1910. The website dating info is not correct for this model. Sears referred to the model as Minnesota A9 on their needle packs but for conversation Davis New Minnesota A would be the best description. The A9 uses a 2" Davis long needle which is not standard so you'll have to find some on ebay or use a modern substitute needle called MTx190 or 190R. The A10 model is identical but used standard 15x1 rather than Davis long. Have fun.

Jon
Oh wow! That's interesting. I tried a standard 15x1 needle on it and it seemed to fit perfectly. I didn't thread everything and just ran some paper through it to see if it stitched, so I could be wrong, but it might be the A10, but I'll get my hands on other needles and see if they fit better. Would there be any way to definitively say which needle fits? Sorry if these are basic questions but I really appreciate the answers.