Thread: piecing sizes
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 11:21 AM
toogie

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I never cut my large pieces until I need to. I come up with a pattern idea, and go from there. I haven't used many strips, or layer cakes, charms etc. I'm not a scrappy quilter. I have an abundance of scraps, leftovers and smaller pieces that I will never use, but don't want to toss!
Give them to someone like me willing to use, because leftover smaller pieces is what most of this is, although there may be a WOF that's 10 inches or less. It will be Scrappy tops or I Spy tops because it's not enough of any fabric collection. I think the jelly rolls could be subcut into half hexies, or JR sewn into rows and then cut into 9P, etc. Also the 10 in layer cakes can be made into the Double Slice like my Cottage Joy quilt in Pictures, or subcut into (4) 5 inch charms.
I am not cutting MY fabric yardages, just these scraps given to me, but was just wondering how other quilters usually cut. I am like you, not willing to toss, so I will cut up for use. I make charity quilts too, so it will be worth my time.