View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 04:21 PM
OurWorkbench

Default October 2020 Meeting - Colorado Get Together - Late Addition

Dorothy

We've had another submission from Dorothy, who says she's been busy:

It has been busy for sure! I sewed a T shirt using a Pfaff 4872 coverlock which I had set to 4 thread safety lock. The hems and neck band top stitch were done on an Elna 62C. Lovely machine which still has reverse issues- more oil & maybe hair dryer help.

I have done a little research into the Minnesota Model A. Seems there were 2 different manufacturers of the model A which were not identical. There is a motor boss on the back and serial # which may help ID the manufacturer. There are 2 shuttle slide plates, which do not fit the machine. Slide plate has been lost since I was a kid. Temporary I will cut a piece of plastic to fit, but now the machine is serving as a cat perch. It had been my Grandmothers machine. As best my Mom can guess it was a wedding present.

dorothy_minnesota.jpg

The Haslam drafting system is fascinating me right now. The system covers the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. The system personalized your fit which could be carried over to their style books! The Fascinating thing about the books? They show how the style was made/ cut at the time. This is SO helpful. There are NO assembly hints, instructions or diagrams! Our Grandmothers never fail to impress me with their ability to magically put something together from an illustration.

dorothy-img_20201002_a.jpg

dorothy-img_20201002_b.jpg

dorothy-img_20201002_c.jpg

Later-
Dorothy