View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 02:36 AM
cindynvb

I have 3 large totes of quilting scraps, at least 1 of the toes was gifted to me. My sewing room is so full of stuff that it’s bothering me. The scraps are bothering me the most so I decided to tackle those now. I’ve tried several methods of tackling them. One is the do a little every day method, that doesn’t work because I can’t see any progress. I tried pulling enough of one color or type , strings in this case, and make a quilt. I made 2 Snap Scrap and 2 string quilts, also so no dent in the mess.
So my latest attempt, and this one seems to be working for me is this: take everything out of 1 tote and sort By color. I had 8 smal bins scattered around the sewing room. This took me 1 day. Then I take1 color at a time and press and sort it. Each color has a bin for strings, then I cut the rest according to the BH method of scrap users system. I choose a couple of quilts I want to make so cut the correct colors and sizes for those. The rest just get cut up. So far they are taking up a lot less space and I’ve almost filled a pillowcase with tiny scraps. Last time I worked on cutting scraps it took me about 5 months to fill a pillow case. Not sure if I can motivate myself to do this for each tote though. I think it’s going to take a month for each tote. I am pleased with my progress. I’m loving my new iron and my Go cutter. BTY, I’m standing so long I had to get a rubber mat to ease the aching in my legs! Being retired is hard work! Wish me luck and if anyone has any ideas that will help with the organizing of scraps I would love to hear them.