View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Interesting---I own a Gammill, bought used, no robotics. I love the sturdy frame/table and the ability to do much of my own maintenance. I've worked in classes on Innovas (on/off button awkward for me), APQS,and HandiQuilter (ho-hum), Nolting. I'd suggest if you can to check out several brands if you haven't already (know thats hard right now with shows cancele I have a friend that traded in her new (2 yrs old) Gammill for a Bernina--she's happy with it but the reasons she traded seemed counter-intuitive to me--she didn't like doing any maintenance and perferred to take her machine head off the carriage (means taking off a take-off bar) and hauling 40 mi to a dealer who would do any maintenance--and reversing the process. I do most of my own maintenance and able to get a tech if needed---but service calls on LA are expensive ususually. The other reason she wanted the Bernina is that the tension control was digital and supposily would automatically adjust top and bobbin--not sure that it does that actually and I find tension sometimes needs adjusting due to thread or fabric used. Lastly, since I tend to work fairly fast on the LA, I want an industrial needle instead of a domestic machine needle. Have fun--I love to LA!