Old 11-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Iceblossom

Great! You know what you are getting into. I really thought I wouldn't mind which side was up or not, and some of my greens were too close to some of my neutrals, the color I started with was pretty much dead on to Bonnies, but when I decided to up my neutral to yellow, I should have reconsidered that shade darker.

It also turned out that my bag of fabric had not been fixed! The pieces had been starched but ran like thieves into the night. LOL, I spent days/hours/weeks boiling and setting that fabric. It would have been so much easier had they been treated correctly by the dyer knowing what they used and needed to get a good set. But for what they were doing (learning patterns or making art/non-washed pieces) maybe they did it exactly right for their needs. Even putting in my hundreds of hours of labor, I still think it was a pretty good buy for $8.99 or whatever it was. I still have a significant amount left, enough to do the first project I saw in there, a wide-log modern sort of camouflage log cabin more in the greens and browns.

I also think part of the thing is I am just drawn to the more patterned pieces, but for a good Bonnie Hunter project, every piece needs to look like it was cut from the same piece of fabric and that's why some of the larger scale fabrics don't work so well -- but I think your examples will work well.

edit: To clarify, when I said about the one piece, that was in Frolic which was actually highly planned and using paired fabric combinations, those all needed to look like they came from the same piece of fabric because that was how it was designed, and then the next block could be a different set of fabrics. This one might be more random in terms of paired pieces.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-07-2020 at 06:58 AM.