View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
OnTheGo

I see you've had several lookers, but no recipe yet. Probably because yeast breads have an unwarranted reputation for being difficult.....not really true. They take longer, but they are not difficult and the end result is very satisfying.

Below is the first recipe I ever used to make yeast rolls...I was in high school/4-H Clubs and won ribbons using this recipe.

Refrigerator Rolls

1 c. shortening ( I use butter)
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 c. boiling water
2 eggs (I use 3 if they aren't too large)
2 cakes compressed yeast (2 pkgs. dry yeast is ok)
1 c. cold water
6 cups unsifted all-purpose flour

Pour boiling water over shortening, sugar and salt, blend and cool. Add eggs. Let yeast stand in cold water 5 minutes, stir to dissolve and add to cooled mixture. Add flour one cup at a time and blend well, and place in a large greased bowl or pan and place in refrigerator 4 hrs. Then make in desired shape and let rise in a warm room covered with a wet towel until double in size.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden brown.
NOTES:

You can use margarine or 1/2 butter and half vegetable shortening or butter as I do for the shortening.

I now use the dough hook on my hand mixer to mix the dough, then I take it out of bowl and knead it on a floured surface until it's stretchy and then put it into the greased bowl to rise. I don't think I ever left it in the refrigerator, but you can if you want.

I always made the rolls in cloverleaf shape. Take enough dough to make a small ball and roll it in your palms. It should feel springy. Dip each ball in metled butter or margarine and drop 3 balls in each cup of a muffin pan and let rise...covered with a damp towel. Then bake as directed above.

***If you want super easy, look for Spoon rolls that I have already posted on here.

ENJOY!!