View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 07:29 PM
SuzzyQ

Originally Posted by Thrifty Magpie View Post
I think that there are some definite things that quilters need to understand about handling fabric with bias edges before making blocks that will have bias edges. 1) know that the stretch can be an advantage or disadvantage and handle very carefully;2) starching before cutting makes a huge difference, because it stabilizes the fabric; 3) aggressive ironing will distort your blocks. Press carefully; to get nice, flat blocks, press on a terrycloth towel. You can GENTLY manipulate the fabric (lightly mist with water if needed) to get the blocks square when pressing. 4) well-pressed blocks will assemble into a nice, square quilt and make the job easier in the long run. I would not recommend making any projects with bias edges to new quilters because I think it’s better to learn the basics before adding the extra challenge of something that is tricky.
Oops! I had my 4-H quilt club members make disappearing pinwheel blocks for a group quilt as an achievement exercise. Interestingly enough, most the the blocks they have turned in are quite acceptable. When I join the quilted blocks I'll post a picture. So far I've had to "fix" only two of the blocks. I think the quilt will be quite acceptable.