View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 09:39 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
.........I've realized that sewing over the seams is often where everything breaks down. The needle seems to stick and yank the quilt up, stitches are skipped, the bobbin thread can go off synch, and the thread can break near the needle. I'm currently using a 14 ball point needle (waiting for top stitch needles from Schmetz).......
Good for you for keeping at it! Give yourself credit for that, and for being as observant as to what is happening when! That helps you identify the problem now, and learn from it.

A couple of thoughts that may help you. You are using a ball point needle. They are traditionally used for jerseys, knits, fleece and the like, not for cottons, nor quilting. Switching to the Top Stitch needles when you get them, might be what you need!

Here's a link that may give you some info about which needles and when ....
ITS82-OCT20LR.pdf (euronotions.com)
FYI, there are a lot more types of needles than are noted in this online booklet.

Your Ball Point needle is probably coping, until it gets to the bulk of the seams. The sharpness from the Top Stitch needles (or other sharp needles) should make a difference at the seams and throughout your FMQing. It will be able to punch down through the bulk, grab the thread and come back up much easier than with the Ball Point needle.

Top Stitch needles are one of my go-to's for quilting. Also, Embroidery and Microtex. Surprisingly, I seldom use a Quilting needle for FMQ, but more so for for straight quilting or piecing. I keep my notes, from one project to the other, to help me know where to start, and minimize problems ............ and help it be less frustrating when something goes awry, as it inevitably will!

Good Luck!