View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 07:49 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Default Great Great Gpa's shirts

When my FIL passed I kept several of his shirts thinking to make quilts with them. My grand daughter and I sewed and tied one to give to my SIL. It was heartwarming for Emily to see the joy/sorrow in her auntie's eyes when she gave the quilt she helped make to her aunt. Sorry no picture.

Fast forward a few years and I still have the shirts. Last winter 2 new babies were added to the family, the first and second of my FIL's great great grandsons. What better way to welcome these 2 little ones with a baby blanket from his shirts.

The first shirt is simple HST's made from chambray fabric and shirts. Gpa always wore chambray shirts so felt this was an appropriate fabric. He carried a bandana in the back pocket of his denim jeans...so bandana fabric for the binding. The backing is a flannel with brown and white cows and tractors; another tribute to his farming lifestyle.

A couple of months later when we found out a new baby was to be born, I was stumped as to what to make. As the time got closer the new mom-to-be posted the new nursery...a dark green with a dinosaur theme...oh my not sure how Grandpa's shirts would fit in! I started thinking (that could be dangerous!) and have wanted to dabble more in improv quilts. Pulling lighter shirts and some with green from the pile, I began cutting and sewing. I used inside yokes with tags intact, slipped in some neutrals along with farm themed fabric. I even added a small square of a dalmatian dog because he had picked out a puppy who turned out to be a wonderful dog for my SIL's family. It was okay, but lacked something. A dinosaur from a shirt sleeve utilizing the pearl snap button as the dino's eye finished it off.

The results...2 sweet thank you notes from the new moms who live half way across the country.
Attached Thumbnails parkers-quilt.jpg   dino-quilt-gt.jpg