View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 05:45 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Polly that is a awesome quilt! Are the corners at a 45 angle? I love the way it arches over the corner of the mock bed. And did I read correctly you but the last border on after it was quilted? How do you attach it?
Yes, I cut off the part that was touching the floor at a 45, with a slight curve at each side of the cut. Most of my big quilts drag on the floor at the corners.

And yes, I put the borders on after the center is quilted on these big ones. I serge all the way around the quilted center - protects the edge in all the handling and also holds more glue stick for basting.

I put backing strips on first, then the first border group and fused the batting in, quilted it, then the wider border and fused that in and quilted it. Serged all around again to help grab glue for basting on the binding.

I started doing this years ago because FMQ on a domestic is easier if the quilt is smaller. The easiest part of the quilt is the outer few feet of the quilt, so this way, even though it's more work to put the borders on, my quilting is better on the outer edges.

Also, the center of this quilt was done edge to edge by Missouri Star and I didn't want edge to edge in the borders - I love feathers and swirls in the borders and I like to do those, myself.