View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 05:32 PM
costumegirl

Default Advice needed for Using Pellon Flex-Foam

I am in the process of makng a doll travel bed/bassinet for my Grand daughter and read that Pellon Flex-Foam interfacing might be good to use to hold the shape of the bed firm so it isn't floppy. I could only find the Pellon "sew in" Flex foam at the local fabric store. I know many use this product for making totes and bags but I have no experience with it. Will it hold up the shape of the bed and will it maintain it's shape after being played with by a 3 year old?

I am also leary of having really thick seam allowances after sewing all the sections together with the flex-foam interfacing in the middle between an outer cotton fabric and an inner lining.
Is there a way that I can reduce the bulk of the Flex-foam in the seam allowances?

Can I cut the flex-foam to fit just inside the seam allowance and then use a generic quilt-basting adhesive spray to hold the flex-foam in place? The quilt basting spray can instructions recommend it be used on cotton but I am wondering if this adhesive will react with the tricot covering of the flex-foam or with the flex-foam core and cause it to disintegrate over time?
I also have a can of Sulky adhesive spray and according to the can instructions it apparently disappears after 72 hours. I could use this one instead. Anyone have experience with this spray?
I am wondering that if I do not "sew-in" the flex-foam pieces into the seam allowance if the foam will shift or buckle within the the bassinet covering especially after being handled and played with.

I also happen to have a roll of Buckram and a roll of Heat-n-Bond UltraHold iron-on adhesive that I inherited from my Mom's friend. Should I just use these together for firmness and shape or should I combine with the Flex-foam?

I will be finishing all the raw edges of the bed by covering them with a binding.

Any advice on how to use the Flex-Foam and how to construct this bed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by costumegirl; 04-05-2021 at 05:36 PM.