View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM
MeganMills

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I'm wondering why you are stitching on a single layer with the longest stitch length. What size needle? The 28 has an extra motion that many later vintage machines didn't have. Indeed, that would probably make it a little harder to make a square corner. There is a "Singer's Sewing Skills Reference Book" that tells how to make square corners like for points (or probably pockets) or collars on page 13 of http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...rence-book.pdf

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Oh - sorry Janey. I should have said. It is a double layer of fabric. You can see that the top side shows some embroidery and the bobbin side doesn't because it's a separate layer. At the outer corner on the bobbin side it's easier to see it is two layers because they don't line up. The layers appear to be either a linen or cotton. It's a bit of crazy patch stuff that came with one of my machines. I think one layer used to be a tablecloth and one used to be a napkin or handkerchief. They're on the slightly heavier side of lightweight fabrics but are very soft because they're old. I'm using a size 70/10 Schmetz Universal needle (new).

Thank you for the link to the reference books - I love things like that! And you're right, the little "hoppy" bit has had me tinkering around with all sorts of needle positions to try before pivoting because the needle is down more than once and rises more than once. One thing I read for Featherweights said to pivot just as the eye enters the fabric as the needle is going down. That produced consistently terrible corners on this machine.