View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 05:21 PM
kristijoy

My main stash I have folded and sorted by color, with the exception being 'focus' fabrics that are mluti-colored. Those I have in one specific spot.

Then for my scraps - when I'm finished with a project, I cut all my scraps into pre-cut sizes. First 5 inch squares, then 2 1/2 inch strips, then 2 inch strips, then 1 1/2 inch strips. Whatever is the 'biggest' cut I can get from the left over scraps. Then these I sort into color bins with plastic baggies separating the sizes. I think this might be fairly close to Bonnie Hunters scrap saver system.

What surprises me is that most often what jump starts my creativity is an overflowing color bin, rather than a big cut of yardage. If I have a bunch of brown 2 1/2 inch strips overflowing my color bin, my brain starts working on ideas. I might even look for a focus fabric, then pull from other color bins first, before I go to the main stash of bigger cuts.

Plus it's just fun to look through my fabric bins...sort of like digging through grandma's big button jar.

Last edited by kristijoy; 04-09-2021 at 05:34 PM.