View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 04:45 AM
OurWorkbench

Default May 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 1

We're hoping for some lilac blooms this year, which we like and enjoy. Every year, springtime in Colorado goes two steps forward and one step back. In some years, our optimistic lilacs begin to bloom, only to be stopped by a late hard freeze. Despite some recent cold snaps, blooms look OK-- and we're hopeful for some wonderful lilac fragrances this spring. Fingers crossed.

With summer coming, our members have many interesting projects for the May meeting, along with lots of pictures, even including a roving report from the road. So let's get started with the May Colorado get together.

Cheryl & Chris

Cheryl and Chris, who also live some distance north of Denver, send the following about what they have been doing:

I've been practicing using my adjustable hemmer while going over seams so I can use it to hem a long ruffle made from multiple joined sections. I'm using an 1891 Singer VS2 that Chris recently refinished. You can see the refinished bonnet behind the arm of the VS2. Some small stains are still visible under the new finish on the cabinet. They were too deep to remove without destroying the veneer. We call them "history."

cheryl-pxl_20210423_220706801editqb.jpg

Leon & Iris
Like the words from the song "On The Road Again", Leon and Iris sent their description of a recent trip they made.

Iris and I are big fan's of Alice Duncan. She writes Daisy Gumm Majesty mysteries about a woman trying to provide for her family in the 19teens and 1920s in Pasadena. We started a fan page about things surrounding Daisy's fictional life. ( who knows what a monkey puzzle tree looks like?) Anyway Daisy sews her own clothes and her garb for her spiritualist medium gig. In an early book Alice wrote that Daisy sews on a "side treadle White" Huh??. As I got to know Alice I corrected her. Alice sent me a pic of her woe begotten Embossed White We decided that Alice needed a working embossed machine so we took one to her. If I couldn't fix hers in a couple of days. I'd give it to her.. It needed a few bits and her cabinet needed the bracket for her drawers re -installed.. I put the new to her White in her cabinet, Iris showed her how to thread it and she almost cried when she used a shiny new to her machine. I also dropped off an older rotary White since that is was Daisy would have actually used. It will go to her daughter.

We also brought a portable as a just in case, but Alice didn't need it. Iris's daughter grabbed it when we got to Fort Worth. We ended up trading three working machines for a dead embossed White and a dead Singer 99. The White is now stitching but I am not done with it yet. the 99s spins freely but needs more work. A great trade, I believe.

We were not abducted by aliens in Roswell, but saw lots of images of them.
Even the street lights have elongated eyes on them.

Till next time.

leon-dscn2424.jpg

leon-dscn2436.jpg

leon-dscn2440.jpg

leon-dscn2510-2-.jpg

... to be continued