Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 AM
JoyjoyMarie

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I sat and read all of these wonderful comments, and I guess I am not a purist. I use anything I can get my hands on, even (horror of horrors) not 100% cotton. Using old clothes gives me a sense of thriftiness and some of my favorite quilts have a WIDE assortment of types of fabrics. I have found after they are quilted, then washed, all of the fabrics seem to just go together. The blends get just as soft as the cottons, and as a matter of fact they don't "age" as much (whitening of the fabric). I guess I am lucky because no quilt police live by me!!!!
I am SO GLAD to see that someone else out there is like me! I love to use whatever I find around - scraps for any number of places, and any number of fiber contents. I go to the thrift shops also to pick up fabrics or gently used clothes. My quilts may not be the ones chosen by the judges, but that is not why I create my quilts! And not every quilt has to be an "heirloom" quilt.

I do think it's important to have a consideration for who will use the quilt and for what. The all-cotton quilters have a point on that since it is such a wonderful fabric. It's hard to beat for an all purpose quilting fabric and it's a known quantity and lasts well.