View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Railroadersbrat

Lots of questions to answer, lol, but they're good ones.

I am a weird one. I like to hand wash my fabrics up to three yards, after that, they go into the washer. I use warm water, no matter what the color and I use Dawn dishwashing liquid, unless I'm using the washer, then it's my regular detergent. When I hand wash, I feel like I have more control over things and I can really see if there's just a little bit of color bleed, or if there's a lot, so I can make a decision while I'm washing if I'm going to use the fabric or not.

When I hand wash, everything is hung up on my line to dry, then when it's almost dry but still a little damp, I take a hot iron to it and finish the drying on my ironing board. If it's dark colors, I usually use a piece of Muslin under it so I can tell if the bleeding is still going on or not, if it is, then I wash it again. If I used the washer, it goes in the dryer but I pull it out just before it's done and iron it as if I hand washed it.

I don't use the color catching sheets, it's crossed my mind many times but I always seem to forget to pick them up when I'm shopping. One of these days, I might remember them, but I always strongly recommend whoever is getting my quilt that they use the color catchers and I always gift them with a bottle of Restore when I hand the quilt over. That way if they forget to use the color catcher and the quilt bleeds, they've got a quick fix with the Restore.

As for the raveling, it's just a simple fix with a pair of pinking shears, the ones that give you the crisp, sharp points are the best ones to use. I do have the pinking blade for my rotary cutter and used it once before I washed some fabric, but it didn't do a great job at stopping the ravel and I had to spend a few minutes cutting the long strings off of my fabric. I use the pinking blade for other sewing jobs, but for quilting, I like my heavy pinking shears the best.