View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 PM
jaderose.midnightdreams

Default Thank you for pointing out the differences

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
The 301 uses the modern class of needles, Schmetz being one producer. Organ brand are also nice. You can find these on a variety of websites, at your local quilt shop (lqs), and even at nationwide fabric stores.

The important thing is to match the type of fabric to the type of needle. Sharps, or Schmetz microtex, are for woven cottons, quilting cottons, shirting cottons. Ball Point needles are for knit fabrics, like t shirt knits.

Then, you'll want to match size (thickness) of needle for intended purpose and thread size.

For instance, if mending denim jeans, a size 16 needle. For making quilts, an 11 or a 12. I also prefer 11 or 12 for shirtings.

For knits, ball point needles are commonly available in size 14, but I find modern knits generally thinner, and often search for a 12 ball point.

Now, to thread size, I am not well versed. While your 301 can use a size 16 needle, I am not sure if it could handle a matched weight thread in the bobbin case.

But generally, for most household sewing, an all cotton thread in 40 or 50 weight will do just fine, top and bottom.
I was looking through some of the sewing needles online and I was confused with the other numbers besides the #2020 and the 15x1 and I wasn’t sure if I was going about it correctly because I am still within the first portion of the manual making sure I am seeing everything correctly and set accordingly to be able to be confident with how it is going and I have been watching some of Andy’s videos and they have been a huge help with visual understanding while reading the manual too. I was about to ask where I was going to have to post questions about it because I wasn’t sure if it what page questions about parts or the different sources of information that I want to make sure I am understanding. Now I will have to make a side note of the numbers and will put it in a bag along with the manual because that will be a great reference guide to have for all future projects