View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 04:03 PM
Heathermom2opmc

Default Vintage Signed Friendship quilt

So I am very excited about a recent purchase. I seem to have a soft spot for old quilt tops or quilts that need some tlc or rescuing. I found this "friendship" quilt on Ebay and after watching it for several days, I just went ahead and bought it.It spoke to me and I just needed to buy it. It was described as vintage feed sack fabric, and I got it today. It indeed is mostly feed sack material. Every block in this quilt is signed. The coolest part about this quilt is that it is missing a final corner square. I am assuming there would have been a story involved, and certainly can make one up in my head. I intend to make the final dresden plate for the final block, sign it and then do a simple backing. So here is my question. Do you suppose I could actually find information about any of the women that made this quilt? I know from the seller that it was purchased at a thrift/antique shop in Spokane Washington. I am not sure if I could find any info on any of these women, but boy it would be really amazing to do so. I am going to date this quilt at about 1930's 1940's. The embroidery on the names is amazing, and one name has a pencil letter B that looks like they were going to start the name but then moved it down. This quilt is amazing. If by chance anyone is from the Pacific Northwest, maybe we could start some searches and see if this belonged to a quilting group of some sort.

(the pics are from the sellers listing, I would never lay a quilt out on the grass).
Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2021-07-19-7.57.03-pm.png   screenshot-2021-07-19-7.57.15-pm.png   screenshot-2021-07-19-7.56.48-pm.png