View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 07:23 AM
osewme

Here's what I like:
  1. I prefer a nice straight cut.
  2. I've never bought scraps by the pound.
  3. I like the idea of picking my own scraps & putting them in a plastic bag to purchase. Our local quilt shop (which has now gone out of business) would sell their scraps like that. I like to see what I'm getting & like to select the sizes I want.
  4. I prefer straight cuts on pre-cuts to those that are pinked. I really don't like sewing on pinked edges.
  5. When I have the money, I would rather buy fabric by the yard. I never did buy yardage when I was in the work force & now wish I had. I generally just bought as I needed for the quilt I was making at the time.
  6. I think I would really enjoy buying by appointment. That would give me time to really consider what I was buying & not feel like I had to buy something just because another quilter was eyeing the same fabric.
I don't have near as much fabric as I would like. Since my retirement 5 years ago, I've used up most of my stash & now like to make charity blocks for a dear, kind nurse near Tyler, Texas who finishes quilts for dying patients in the hospital in which she works. I'm also still trying to make face masks for the children with Congenital Heart Defects that I started 6 years ago. So, I really wish I would have purchased more fabric when I was able to afford it.
If I had a really big stash & was wanting to part with a lot of it & didn't want to go through the process of selling it, I would find charities that would like to have it or would start making as many quilts, etc. that I could to use it up & stop making quilts for family & friends. All my family & friends have what they want in the way of quilts now.
As for my sewing machine & quilting tools & supplies, I would probably find a good quilt guild that could pass them on to other quilters (especially new quilters who don't have much in the way of beginning supplies).