View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 05:21 PM
Dreamer25

I personally love the idea of a low-tech teaching approach you're thinking of doing. Though I agree with everyone's suggestions not having the money for purchasing new fabric, a machine, and the notions you need can be overwhelming to those who want to learn sewing/quilting. I personally watch yard sales and estate sales for fabric and notions, and every once in a while I can find a good working sewing machine. If the group you're thinking of teaching lives close together suggest purchasing things as a group rather than individually yes it'll be hard since they don't have everything themselves but it's a way to get started. Teaching them how to hand sew is a good start as not many young people know how to do that if they aren't raised around someone who sews. I'm on a very tight budget to purchase my stuff and I'm trying to teach myself how to quilt, but I've been lucky enough to inherit majority of my notions, thread, fabric, and even my first sewing machine from relatives. I also watch for fabric sales and slowly over time get enough fabric that I want to use for a quilt.