Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM
BonnieJP

Originally Posted by dbrit89828 View Post
I have this machine ordered and am very excited about learning to FMQ. Currently I free motion on my domestic and feel that I could do better work on a large workspace. The cost is something I had to think long and hard about, but I decided I really wanted to be a better quilter.
So my question is about thread. We only have a Joann and a Hobby Lobby locally, and I have to drive 2+ hours to a quilt shop, so I have to order mostly online. What thread do you use in this machine? Do you use same thread for top and bottom, or a lighter weight in bobbin? The dealer says she only uses polyester, and really didn't address the 'same thread?' top and bottom question. She did say the machine is not picky about thread, which is good because some machines ARE!!!!
I use 50 wt cotton Connecting Thread for piecing and love it. Also use it for free machine on my domestic sewing machine. Does anyone use that for the Juki for top and/or bobbin? Just need some ideas and opinions on what works for you.
Thanks everyone!
I like Glide thread the best for my Juki J-350 Miyabi. Glide is a 100% polyester thread that comes on 5,000 yard cones for about $12 at my LQS. It comes in lots of colors, has a tiny bit of sheen, and is made in the USA. If you don't have a dealer nearby, it is also available on Amazon. I always use the same thread (can be different colors though) in the top and bobbin. I've become such a fan of Glide, I've even use it for piecing.

You might be interested to know there's a Facebook group dedicated to the Juki J-350 Miyabi where you can also get lots of information about your new machine.

Last edited by BonnieJP; 09-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.