Old 09-30-2021, 07:59 AM
BonnieJP

Originally Posted by dbrit89828 View Post
Have mercy!!!! My new machine is set up and I followed all instructions for threading and winding bobbin. I am totally baffled about tension. There are no numbers on tension dial so I don't know what I'm doing. Top of quilt piece looks ok, but back has eyelashes. I have fiddled with top tension with no real improvement. Even loosened bobbin tension some with same results. New needle, same polyester thread in to and bobbin. I know there is a sweet spot for tension settings, but I'm so frustrated, I don't know what else to do. Ideas???
I sandwiched some batting between a couple of fat quarters to test the tension. I sew a little, adjust tension a little, sew a little, adjust again if necessary until the tension is perfect. I do not play with the bobbin tension, only the top tension. Some Juki owners swear by the Towa tension guage for fine tuning the bobbin tension, but I have found my test sandwich works just fine. Jamie Wallen also has a YouTube video (Taking the Stress out of Longarm Tension) that provides tips on adjusting the bobbin tension on a longarm machine.