Thread: seams worries
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 06:36 AM
FoggyButFocused

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I know this isn't really something everyone would do, but depending on the use of a quilt, I have been known to iron on a Light weight knit interfacing onto the offending area on the back side to fortify it against fraying or coming loose at a particularly crucial point that I think will later open up and fail.
If the quilt is going to get heavy use by a child dragging it around, or a T.V. lap quilt they are going to get lots of washing and tugging. You see? This is not for any prize quilt or one that will be shown. I have quilted and sent charity donations this way. I have never heard of any mishaps.
I am not saying huge pieces, just the area that is weak.
Confession here. I did a quilt top and used fleece for the backing. I sewed the front to the back to make sure it wouldn't shift. I washed it. Three of the blocks fell apart. I was mortified. My daughter had asked me to make the quilt as a gift for her friend and it was an epic fail. After licking my wounds, I took the quilt completely apart and replaced the offending blocks. I put lightweight interfacing on the entire back of the quilt. Put it back together and washed it. It worked! I think I am going to use this technique for all of my shallow seams in the future.

I think in your case better safe than sorry. Let us know how it turns out!