Old 10-09-2021, 04:12 AM
tallchick

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
So today has been productive and then not so productive, lol.

I got everything cut down and ready while my fiancé was out hunting mushrooms, I think I got through it all in about an hour, which I think is pretty good. Which, a huge thank you to everyone that suggested a 60mm rotary cutter during the last VQW, I bought one in the middle of last month and cannot believe the difference, no hand or wrist fatigue and I was slicing through multiple layers like a hot knife to butter!

Picture is of three Maple Leaves, nine more to go. That has been the other productive part, finally having my scant 1/4" figured out on my sewing machine made it such a joy to be sewing again. I also used Karen Brown's hack of putting a ledge of masking tape on my machine, I never in a million years would have thought it was going to make that big of a difference, I wish I had tried it sooner.

My only problem today has been an error in the pattern that I did not catch this time, I really need to figure out how best to fix the pattern in the book because I have at least four more of these table quilts to make in the future. In the middle of the 12 Maple Leaves there are four blocks of Hour Glasses - each block has four, for a total of 16. I know that my 1/4" is accurate because my Maple Leaves are measuring out to 12.5", what the book says all the blocks are supposed to be. Sadly though, the Hour Glasses are not coming up to 12.5", it's more like 12.25", so I'm a quarter inch off. The book says to start off with 7 1/4" squares and use the two at a time method to make the blocks, but shouldn't the squares be 7 1/2"? Can any ladies that has their math brains up and running help me out? I don't want to keep making this mistake, especially with as many as I have in the future.

I'm leaving the Hour Glasses alone for now because I have to figure out how best to fix this. Should I tear them down and do a scant 1/8", or should I take the remaining fat quarters I have from the bundle, add some Muslin fat quarters and remake them after the correction on the pattern is done?

I'm all confoozled - lol!
What is the finished size for the block? Did you check the pattern online for corrections before starting? Hour glass units can be a bit tricky to square up but once you find a method that works for you it will be easy. Here are a few links that might be of use. Can’t wait to see what you’re working on.

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ilt-block.html

https://www.scrapish.com/hourglass-quilt-block.html