View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 PM

Someone was certainly creative in keeping this machine going. I am no expert, but I believe this was originally a treadle machine. The bobbin winder wouldn't have had a rubber tire on it. Instead, one pressed the bobbin winder onto the leather drive belt.

I may be wrong but I think this may be a Singer 27 with Sphinx decals. Look at the picture below for how it was originally set up.

Some creative person rigged up the machine so that it now has a motor on it and they put a double pulley onto the motor using one pulley to drive the handwheel and the other to drive the rig for the bobbin winder.

Again, I'm not an expert on this model, but it also looks like they changed the handwheel to a solid instead of a spoked hand-wheel.

No way to tell where the motor came from, but it may be a Singer, given how Singer dominated the market. Whatever you do, do not plug this thing in. It needs re-wiring. It may well need a new motor.

If this were my machine, I would look for a spoked hand-wheel to fit this model, I would guess they're easily available and I would put a hand-crank on it. The original Singer hand-cranks are costly, but generic ones are easily found and easy on the wallet. Hand-cranks need spoked wheels though, so that would be my first priority, after removing the electrics of course.

That won't solve the bobbin-winder problem though.

Last edited by 1.41; 10-18-2021 at 10:12 PM.