View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 AM
WMUTeach

Realistically, if you have to wait 10 - 15 years for a long arm, you won't have space for it because of all the finished tops you have waiting to be quilted!. I have a very silly picture in my head of a room full of quilt tops and only a pathway from door to sewing machine. There are children and pets lost behind stacks of tops calling for help to find their way out from the mountains of quilt tops.

We each have an area of the process that entrances us. I like the process of piecing far more than than basting or quilting. Pre-pandemic, I would merrily make quilt tops and then like many of us when we were locked inside our homes, I stopped to look at what was on hand and what needed my attention. I found so many UFOs! Some, barely started some just needed finishing and like you, finished tops that I just couldn't face basting and quilting. I don't remember the number but I pulled back and stopped, making and began finishing. For me, the hardest part was/is basting. Yes, I have read all of the methods suggested here but most require space or a large counter or a large table. In reality, I did manage to get a significant number basted and quilted.

To your question, If the quilt tops were in my space, I would sort them by the kind of quilting that I could accept and finish one or two before allowing myself to start a new quilt. Consider straight line, channeling, crosshatch or a meander or stipple methods. Those simple methods can enhance your quilt without custom quilting. I would choose one or two a year to send out to a long arm quilter. It took me time to admit it, but I could not enjoy my quilts if the tops were hiding in my closet or in your case in the drawer. Perfect or done? Just go for the best work you can do, today. That is all you can expect of yourself. NZ Quilter, I encourage you topick one out and get 'er done and enjoy the finish.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 10-24-2021 at 03:25 AM.