View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 05:14 PM
Gemm

I just want to share my two cents' worth on the "finished is better than perfect" idea.

A couple of days ago I unearthed a houses and trees "quilt" I made in my very early quilting days. The blocks had all been "designed" by friends - I'd cut out the pieces then invited them to come and put a house together. I still think it's really pretty and fun but it's chock full of technical issues, from crooked sashing to uneven blocks to a couple of places where there are actual gaps where I didn't manage to stitch the blocks together properly. A couple of the blocks have unsightly bulges (similar to some of the pandemic side-effects I've noticed on myself!) and because back then I didn't actually know how to quilt I pillowcased it and had started tying it, but the tight weave on the backing (it was a sheet, if I recall correctly) made that frustrating as well. I'm reasonably confident that the deep pink sashing/backing will run when it's washed (although I'm not sure). It has been sitting, incomplete, in a storage box or linen closet since the mid-1990s.

I laid it out on the dining room table and looked and looked at it, seeing all of the flaws, understanding why I hadn't gone back to it, but still feeling it would be better to give it one more chance. I unpicked the pillowcase and snipped out the few ties that there were, ironed it (which is what makes me think the pink will run), layered it up again and have used it to have my first go at FMQ on a large quilt. This has also been imperfect. The backing sheet seems to have slipped at some point and there are uneven stitches and skips and jerks and more unsightly bulges, but all in all, I'm pretty excited about my first FMQ experience. The fact that the top was imperfect made me willing to just go ahead and see what would happen, and while there was a bit of unpicking of some hideous lashing on the back, things went pretty well. The simple meander should hold things together and I found a piece of maroon broadcloth left over from a poodle skirt costume from the same era and am in the process of binding the quilt with that. I intend to use it as a quilt for my aging dog - in the car, on the floor, on the bed - it doesn't matter where. What does matter is that this perfectly imperfect quilt will have a life, will be used, will be seen, will be cherished for the process and memories as well as its functionality.

Every quilt has a story, has a purpose. I wouldn't gift this quilt in a million years. But I think I love it. :-)