View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 03:57 AM
NJ Quilter

I made one of her quilts. I was fortunate enough that a local quilting friend had received a full kit from someone on freecycle and was not interested in doing it. She generously passed it onto me.

You really want to be comfortable with paper piecing before tackling one of her quilts. Have lots of binder clips; ziplock bags; etc. on hand. Her directions are very detailed and I found to be somewhat confusing until you read them repeatedly. One of the most difficult parts for me was trying to figure out how to get the required number of initially cut pieces from the yardage provided. A friend had a CAD program and layed out the largest group for me. Once I saw how that was done it was easy for me to figure out the rest. Read; measure; draw and count your pieces and do that a few more times before cutting anything. Have lots of pieces of scrap paper available to label your piles of cut fabric pieces and ultimately your completed sections.

I followed her directions and not sure what the one previous poster was meaning by paper piecing Judy's way or the 'regular' way. I found no difference there. I'm not a highly experienced paper piecer but I am comfortable with the process.

Doing the quilt was certainly tedious but I was up for the challenge since there was little else to do during the height of COVID. I'm not sure I would call the process 'fun' but it was a challenge I was ready for at the time.

I only have photos on my phone and not sure how to get them here. I was not overly fond of the colorway for that particular quilt but as I say - it was a complete kit (pattern and fabric) that was totally free to me, so why not. I generally like her quilts but they seem to always be square and I prefer rectangular quilts for the most part. I have another of her patterns (also free from the same sources) for a bed runner that I will eventually get around to doing. That one I think is the Bali wedding star pattern.