View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Iceblossom

I make the double fold continuous bias binding, machine sew on the front, and then flip to the back and blind stitch by hand. Among other benefits, doing it from the front typically gives the better mitered corner, you can make up any issues on the bank.

I don't cut off my backing until all the quilting is done and the binding is on, then I use the stitch line as my guide for how high to trim the remainder. My typical binding cut is wider than most, I generally start at 3" for a twin or queen sized project and I've gone up from there. Cutting at 3.5" today! I think most?? people cut around 2.5" and I know a few that like 2.25".

One of the things I've learned from board members is I no longer press my bindings in half before putting on. If I have to store them for awhile (it can often be years before the poor tops get quilted/finished), I wrap them around a piece of cardboard -- which also lets me measure it pretty well (just count wraps around the length of cardboard, which I typically cut at 18" so one full wrap is a yard). I soft fold them together when I pin the binding to the front of the quilt. By not pressing them, (a) I save a bunch of time and I happen to hate ironing, and (b) it allows for a better edge to allow for the thickness of the batting and folding the fabric.