View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 01:03 PM
sewingpup

I do most of my bindings by machine. Most of my quilts are meant to by used, washed, and dried. I use my walking foot a lot of the time. I stitch the binding to the back using a 1/4 inch seam (I cut my binding 2.5 inches and fold in half) then I pull to the front (most of the time, I don't even pin) and try and get the fold just a little bit past the stitch line from attaching the binding to the back. And I use a serpentine stitch. On my Bernina, I have a couple of stitches that are serpentine...and I adjust the length and width of the stitch until I get something I like. It has been a while since I finished a quilt...but I did find a note that was attached to my machine that said I used either stitch 1317 with adjusted width of 3.0 and length of 7.2 or stitch 4 adjusted to width of 2.5 and length of 1.10. The stitch just makes a gentle curving. It takes a little bit of practice and experimenting to get to look fine. I usually line up the edge of the fold with the inner left side of my walking foot and most of the time, it aligns fairly well on both the front and back. The corners can be a bit tricky to get to line up so you don't see the stitching on the backing but now I have mostly gotten the hang of it. I do stop about 1/4 inch from the corner when making that mitered corner, fold the diagonal and start stitching down the new side. Not all machines have a serpentine like stitch and I would probably use a zig-zag