Old 11-27-2021, 07:45 AM
Railroadersbrat

Default Having one of those days....

So, I'm making a quilted organizer, it's an A-Frame design and it's my first-time using foam stabilizer, which I think I have a love/hate relationship with....

I love the way the quilting looks on it, I did a 1 1/2-inch grid and aside from a couple times where I sneezed and didn't pull my foot off of the pedal, I think it looks sharp. Where the hate comes in, was getting the fabric basted onto the foam, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the fabric to stay put, so I've got a couple areas that were a problem. This wouldn't be so bad but....

I cut some of the fabric wrong. Too big, not too small, so I'm good there, I've been cutting and trimming as I go along and I'm about three-quarters of the way through, but....

Instead of taking the time to match the bobbin with whatever fabric was underneath, I can see my horrendously uneven seams on one side. I chose black, seafoam green and a light blue and I'm using light blue thread on everything. It looks terrific on one side, not so much on the other and I'm leaning towards just inverting the organizer to hide my bad seams. I'm too far into it to rip it all out, plus the majority of the seams are going to be hidden with binding.

I like the pattern so much that I am going to make another one for certain, I've got a stack of four-inch squares that I've been trying to find a project for that I think I'm going to stitch together and make a patchwork version. This one is going to replace the box I have on my desk that has my hexagons in it, it's just too big and bulky and having a nice organizer that has everything in it is going to be so much prettier and easier to move from room to room.

Has anyone come up with a sure-fire way of basting foam onto fabric? The method I used was sew an eighth of an inch around the outside, but even with the pinning I did, the fabric and foam still moved around and I was using a walking foot. I know the foam is used to make it stand straight, any reason why I couldn't use batting in place of it? Just curious.