View Single Post
Old 12-15-2021, 02:04 AM
Feather3

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I'm enjoying seeing what traditions others have, and have had to look up some of them. Boston Rocks? A sugar cookie with raisins, it looks like? DH would like those, he's a raisin lover.
Boston Rocks have always been our "to go to cookie" for Christmas. It ain't Christmas without them. The recipe first showed up in 1881. It's had a few changes over the years, as many recipes do. My Grandmother was born in 1892 & this is the Boston Rocks recipe she said her mother, my GGM, always used:

Boston Rocks

1 Cup butter, room temp
2 Cups light brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1 1/2 Cups raisins
1 1/2 Cups currants
1 Cup walnuts, chopped
3 1/4 Cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup hot water.

Cream butter, add in brown sugar, mix well. Add in raisins, currants & nuts. Mix well. Add in dry ingredients, except for baking soda, mix well. Dissolve baking soda in hot water & add slowly. Mix well. Cover & refrigerate over night. Drop by heaping spoonfuls on a greased/floured baking sheet. Note they will spread. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. If using air-bake pans bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes. Remove from oven & let set on pans for 2 minutes before removing. I place a dish towel down with wax paper on top to place the cookies on to cool. This is how my Grandmother always did it. They stay soft. Note you need a stand mixer to make these. How many you get depends on how big or small you make them. I average 60.

After they are cool to room temp I place them in air tight plastic containers with wax paper between layers. Otherwise they will stick together.

If you've never used currants you will find them usually next to the raisins. Raisins come in red boxes or packages, currants are usually in orange boxes or packages. Currants are a lot smaller than raisins.

I just mixed up a batch today & will bake them tomorrow.