View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 08:23 AM
rryder

my quilting goals for 2022:
1. I want to keep up with the decluttering that I started several years ago. To that end I plan to:
A.continue working from my stash and buying only what I need to finish specific quilts (usually backing), or to replenish my blender fabrics and WOW fabrics as they get used up. I've been very good about this this year and have seen a significant reduction in my stash as a result. The bonus is that by being careful about what I choose to replenish means my stash is now filled with fabrics that can be used in a wide variety of quilts and I can still have fun buying fabrics without breaking the budget or overrunning my fabric storage area.
B. get rid of a semi vintage sewing machine that I have been holding on to, but that I never really bonded with.
C. keep up with my scraps and also my scrap batting. For years I have been making scrap scarves out of my tiny scraps and selling those to get them out of the house. I also have been cutting up anything smaller than a fat quarter into sizes that I like to use and was successful in using up most of my 2.5" squares in 2021 thanks to the Debbie Brown 16 patch quilt along. I have also been using larger bits of scrap batting that stitch together to use in small quilts and table runners and have been cutting the really small pieces into bits to use in pillow stuffing.
For scrap management in 2022 I want to:
a. do some eclectic quilts using my orphan blocks, orphan HSTs and some of the other sizes out of my scrap saver system.
b. do an improvisational quilt
c. come up with some additional ways to use scrap batting.
2. learn at least one new skill- every year I try to focus on learning one new skill. In 2021 I learned how to use the webbing method to make 16 patches and also a method to bind my quilts completely by machine using my zipper foot. I won't use the zipper foot binding technique for show quilts, but it works well and looks very nice for everyday quilts that are meant to be used and it works on my straight stitch only machine-double bonus! Not sure what new skill I want to learn in 2022- but I'm sure something will suggest itself.
3.Make a whole cloth quilt from some difficult to use fabric in a luscious color that I received from my grandmother's estate- it's a slinky slightly shiny fabric that looks great when quilted, but does require careful handling. This will challenge my technical skills as well as help me further work on my design skills.

That's probably plenty to keep me busy in 2022, LOL.

I'm enjoying reading what others want to accomplish in the new year.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-16-2021 at 08:27 AM.