Thread: storm at sea
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 05:29 PM
Sherryquilts

I saw a picture of a Storm at Sea quilted wall hanging in the very early '80s and had to make it. I just loved it. So - off I went to the local fabric store, this was when they weren't quilt shops, actual fabric stores that sold mostly garment fabric, and they were mostly blends. I pick out fabrics that I thought would work(blends I am sure), and they did even though I really needed more contrast. I cut - with scissors and templates. I made it, I even finished it, hand quilting with 5 stitches to the inch. I still have it and use it all the time as a TV/couch quilt. It is faded and perfect. Oh - I guess I forgot to mention - it was the first quilt I ever made, biases, 60 degree angles, on points and all. I certainly wasn't going to let an 'advanced intermediate' tag scare me off! Bit in the early '80s, most of us were mostly new quilters! I guess it worked out, after 40 years I am still making quilts!

Anyway - my advice - perhaps have a little quilting experience but be fearless, you can do it!!