Old 12-29-2021, 04:35 AM
Iceblossom

Terry, the reason for cutting from a square is to give the proper bias directions. I elected to cut the large pink triangles into strips first -- but if you cut across the fabric in strips then the bias would be wrong. For the first step making the HST, I just trashed all my white/pink trimmings. This time I put the tiny trim triangles in a bag for my box for my crumb quilter, I know I'm not doing anything with them myself. I cut the white/neutral as triangles, slightly oversized but using less fabric than I would have with squares.

When I said I "matched" the fabrics, that doesn't mean I made this clue out of the same fabrics, just that I selected what fabric went with what instead of letting randomness control it. What I've found through my years of scrap quilting is that if I put together fabrics I like first, I end up with what I call "the double uglies" which are units/fabrics that didn't make the first go-round of connections and so you are left the ones that didn't work when you had all the choices and are even worse now. It's funny but I've found it's better for the quilt as a while to have a whole bunch of mediocre blocks than a couple great blocks. Usually the way I work I make a few extra units/blocks and sometimes my favorites don't make it into the final project because they didn't play well with others.

So I'm less than half way done -- but here's 4 of my selections.
Attached Thumbnails rhody-4.jpg