Old 01-12-2022, 08:10 AM
Iceblossom

Isn't it so much better sharing than isolated? Thanks all for your participation in the project and in the thread -- big round of applause for all! And yes, that includes those who haven't started yet and even some that don't intend to.

I've been thinking of what to do with those extra HST and was playing with my pieces this morning (counts for my daily sewing fix). Tthe Ruby McKim Rose pattern I was thinking of really needs 3 colors and not just two. But it is always so fun/amazing on what triangles can do, especially with a few squares to dance around.

I do have another project I could use them on, at least for the back. I found this Tumbling Blocks top at the thrift store and 3 of the garnets I had were stored with it because they were large pieces in the correct color ways. Don't think I want to mix the HST on the top, but there is a back with it as well -- the current one is more brown than the front colors but does have some of the colors. I'm sort of notoriously known for changing large long pieces of quilts at the last moment -- borders, bindings and backs sometimes get put on and taken off again at the last minute...

But anyway, I date this top by the color way to early 80s. Which also dates a lot of my fabrics there too. The Tumbling Blocks are all cotton, but the border is a rather flimsy cotton/poly blend. As the quilter put the blocks together, for the best visual effect one of the long sides should be the top, and so it just sort of doesn't look right no matter which up/down you put the rectangle on the bed. I can understand why it didn't get finished.

I wanted to take off the existing border and add something the correct weight of fabric and a bit larger than what is there, maybe making it much more true queen sized. I have less fabric now, but probably enough to do something with what I still have left, at least one of the pieces I used has enough yardage to do maybe at least a 6" border all around.

So funny, found a shot showing some of the options include at least one of the garnets!
Attached Thumbnails 100_5789.jpg   100_5791.jpg