View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 12:32 PM
RustyOne

Default Singer Golden Touch and Sew 750

I was wandering this forum a few days ago and came across a thread that thoroughly dissed the 750 and it kinda hurt my feelings to see my old war horse being put down that way. Stewed over it a bit and finally decided to post my own feelings about the 750, which are totally opposite.

I bought my 750 in the early 70s if memory serves. Necessity being the mother of invention and all, I started out making baby clothes for both my kids on it. I sewed for them up until they started school, which was the first time I could afford store-bought for them, Twenty years later I made my daughter's wedding gown on it along with dresses for her maid of honor and her flower girl. A couple of years later I did a 25+ yard satin Southern Belle gown for my son's bride plus all her attendants' gowns. Fast forward to this summer and I made gowns for my granddaughters to wear for their brother's wedding. I just finished a quilt for my great-grandson. Three generations later and my 750 is still going strong!

I don't understand all the bad feelings for this fantastic machine. I wore out a foot pedal back in the 90s, but that's the only work it's ever needed. I have more trouble finding good thread than I've ever had with my "Goldie". Does anybody know where to find the Coats and Clark Dual Duty Plus--the cotton wrapped polyester thread? I really prefer it to the plain polyester stuff that seems to be all I can find lately and my stash is starting to run low. I use white and black mostly,

Anyhow, that's my story. I have the 750 and a newer Singer 5050. They and a Brother my mom gave me back in the 60s are the only machines I've ever owned, and my grandmother's ancient black Singer from the 30s is what I learned to sew on.

Rusty