Thread: Caley's Quilts
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 04:43 PM
CaleyH

Since it costs so much to drive because of the cost of fuel, I've been staying home a lot, except for necessities. So I've been doing a lot of small practise quilts and runners.

This is one of my practise projects, Just Another Star. This type of star has baffled me quite a bit. But I think I finally found why it has been so difficult to get things to line up, as it did in this quilt. My cutting is fine. But I found that my pressing is causing a little fold over along the seam line. So I've had anywhere from 1/16 to as much as 1/8 inch folded, and that improper pressing causes the next step, cutting strips from the fabric to be off. I only found out about this when I stretched the fabric accidentally, and I got a piece of fabric pointing out along one edge. There was no way to remedy this error, so I just finished what I was doing, and will try very hard to do my pressing of the fabric more carefully, checking to see if I got any fold over the seam.

The quilting was supposed to be stitch in the ditch, but I couldn't hit it today. So I embroidered stars along the outer edge of the lone star, and along the seams that join the eight diamonds into the star. I haven't used the embroidery part of my sewing machine very much. I discovered today that you need to make sure there isn't any snagging of the fabric as the machine moves the fabric through the machine. I got some very poorly shaped stars. But I've just learned another way to quilt.
Attached Thumbnails another-star.jpg