View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Annie from Edison

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Now I've got the paper piecing patterns, thanks to Gay, does anyone have any suggestions about color? I've never done a sampler so no clue on how to give it some coherence. The closest I've been is a crocheted granny afghan done when a child, which was all bright clear stained-glass tones of every color, and a black background. Not sure that would work here. I've a good sized stash and I could work with it, just don't know how to select.

Thanks!
Sue
If you study the line drawings of each block (not the actual fabric ones) you can separate each block into dark, medium and light especially if you grayscale the picture. Made several scrappy sampler quilts in brighter colors than civil war colors. The backgrounds can be scrappy too- various whites or creams etc. You can also choose one color- all blue scraps, all red, etc. You can lighten up the backgrounds if you want too. Marsha McCloskey's Block Party has some of the same blocks and might inspire you too (some of the blocks are called something different but are the same and some are different) and each is offered in 3 different color placement options- note: hers are 9' finished blocks. ( and if you like torture you can re-scale the block sizes!- not that hard but you have to screw your head on for 120 different blocks!!