View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 07:12 PM
fatsewcat

Default 50th Birthday quilts

I have 3 friends who turned 50 this month and I have two of the three quilts done.

I got to deliver the seahorse quilt in person to my friend whom I hadn't seen in 30 years. It was so much fun getting to spend the day with her and now she is going to redecorate her bedroom around her quilt. She was excited to receive it and absolutely loved it. 110" Quilt - No specific pattern - I used the "Sylvester Seahorse" by Madi Hastings pattern for the center that I modify slightly. I also used the double friendship star and Irish chain blocks for rest. It has a heart for her husband, a turtle for her son, 50 shells to celebrate her 50th birthday, 3 sand dollars to represent our friendship of past, present, and future and a cross for God's blessing quilted into it. This pic is before I quilted it. I forgot to take one after because we were leaving for vacation just a hours after finishing it so my priority after getting it off the frame was trying to see if I could fit it into my carry-on. I got a little ahead of myself. Once it fit - it stayed.

The purple one is for my one of my best friends from Kindergarten and 1st grade. We didn't stay in touch much after I moved in the early weeks of 2nd grade that but she has always held a special place in my heart. I blended the cross into the blooming nine patch pattern and love how the cross looks like it has rays radiating from it. I get to give this quilt to her on Sunday. I can't wait. I'm so excited. It measures about 96" This one has a heart for husband, 3 butterflies for her daughters, 3 Jesus fish for her SIL and two grandsons, a dove for her mom, a candle in remembrance of her dad, 50 musical notes to celebrate her 50th, 3 base clefs (so 53 musical notes because I didn't think that out too well) to represent our friendship of past, present, and future, and a cross for God's blessings quilted into it. She and her girls are active in their church choirs and two of her girls went on to college to study music so I knew music and her faith were important in her life.

I am working on the third now and should have it done in the next week or so. So friend #3 is waiting patiently for it to be mailed to her. Its going to South Carolina so I its the only one I wont get to hand-deliver.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-05-2022 at 09:00 AM.