Old 03-15-2022, 09:35 PM
Lisa in Oregon

Default Matching thicknesses of lightweight poly batt...

I'm feeling stuck and I could use some help. I've got a quilt-as-you-go project, that was hibernating for more than 5 years. Just finished hand-quilting the first section and piecing the second section. And I don't have enough of the original batting, and after all these years I don't remember where that batting came from.

Soft and Bright at the LQS seemed to sorta kinda match, but after basting and starting to quilt, I think it's too thick! It seems thick and stiff. So I ordered online some Poly-fil low-loft. Now it's arrived and... it's too thin

As far as I've been able to figure out, the Soft and Bright is 4oz and the low loft is 2oz. Is there 3oz batting out there?

The remaining of the original batting is irregular and less than a yard, but in my desperation I measured and weighed it and if my measuring and math are right (which I wouldn't count on), it would come out to about 4.2oz. Is there another way to know how thick batting is, calipers or something? Perhaps I'm wrong that it's too thick, and it's just got more bonding so feels thicker than it is?

I'm not thrilled about picking out my stitching now, but the project is so much work that hoping for the best is not going to work....

I've learned a lot about planning ahead...