Thread: glue basting
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I am about 30 quilts in with Elmers Washable School Glue. I don't use any special products and don't dilute it. I spread the batting down on a table. Then either the backing or top, doesn't matter, just if you use the kind of cotton batting that needs the dots on top, do the quilt top on that. If it is winter, I put the glue bottle in a cup of water for a while to make it flow better. Then I pull back the top about halfway and drizzle a kind of grid pattern on the batting. I can usually do maybe almost the first half. Then pull it up and smooth it all out. It is respositionable at this point. I can keep smoothing it out and if I have to, lift it up and pull taut. Then slide the quilt so that I can pull down the other half and repeat. Then flip over and do the other side. I have never had a pleat/buckle, or anything. I usually let it dry at least overnight because I'm never in a hurry. When dry it will not gum up a needle. I don't use a pool noodle, paint brush, roller, or anything. Easy peasy. This is supposed to replace pin basting, not spray basting, so it isn't necessary to cover every square inch of the quilt. I try for at least a 4-6" spacing. I sometimes practice a free motion quilting pattern. Good way to practice meander or wiggly grid. For me it has always washed out easily. It has not (for me) ever messed with the dye on a fabric.