Thread: glue basting
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2022, 04:36 AM
Sephie

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm still using purchased commercial spray baste, but plan on trying glue basting.

It is my understanding that the glue works better on cotton battings like Warm and Natural than the fluffy poly batts I typically use. Can anyone comment on that??
Just jumping in to say that I've solely glue basted for the past 8 years and I love it. Last week, I just glue basted a super high loft Hobbs Cloud Loft poly batting and it worked wonderfully (phew!). This time, I used full strength glue and as I hoped, the thick glue sat on top of the batting more and adhered the fabric to the batting superbly. I did drizzle in a much tighter grid than I normally do (about 2in apart this time) with cotton battings.

I had tried glue basting Hobbs PolyDown twice before with watered down glue 50/50 as I normally do for cotton and that did not work very well at all. I think thinning it caused the glue to sink into the batting too much and by the time it started to finally dry, there wasn't much glue surface left for the fabric to grab on to.

Full strength glue (or close to it) for poly works great!