Old 03-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Onebat

Default Longarm for diagonal straight line quilting?

Hi everyone - I was wondering if any longarm quilters could let me know how successfully they've been able to do straight line quilting on the diagonal and if so which machine they have.

I am a quilt artist making big wall hangings in Essex linen, up to 2m x 2m. My Janome MC 8400 is just not cutting it - the stitch consistency isn't good enough.
After some great advice on a previous thread I'd decided on a Juki SS machine - but I want to take my business up a gear and I'm wondering whether I should bite the bullet and get a longarm.

The catch is - I only do straight line quilting. I'd say half the time my lines are parallel verticals or horizontals so a longarm with channel locks would really speed things up for me in that respect. But the other 50% of the time my lines are diagonal - and worse, they are perspective lines so they diverge and are not parallel. It's hard to explain what I mean, but these are picture quilts - you can see some here on my IG account https://www.instagram.com/kate_williams_studio/. (I hope we're allowed to link, apologies if not!)

I guess what I would be doing is FMQ but in a perfectly straight line. But is this totally unrealistic?

I'd also need the stitches to be perfectly regular - would a stitch regulator solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!