View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 11:05 AM
KS_FarmGirl

Default New from Kansas with KenQuilt 622

Hi. I just joined today but have been quilting since I was about 12. My mom was a member of a quilting club. The ladies taught my sister and me to hand-quilt along with them. Later I did some tied quilts before tackling a queen-sized quilt on my own. I made a Texas Star for our bed and then hand-quilted it. After that, I made a Friendship Knot queen for our daughter when she got married. I had barely finished it before our son got married. I quickly started a king-sized Rail Fence for him. Daughter #2 announced her engagement so I got to work on a king-sized Double Irish Chain. They were married for about 2 yrs before I got that one finished and had to start one for daughter #3 who had gotten married a yr after #2 had. They were not spacing these weddings out enough for me to finish one project before another was due. But that last one took 9 yrs for me to finish it. Son-in-law teased that they would never get a quilt. In my defense, we moved during that time and arthritis in my left hand got so bad that I could no longer hand-quilt. I had to stop for surgery and then rehab/recovery. I could finally return to the project but only quilt for about 20 min before my right hand started hurting. I gave it to them just before their 11th anniversary.
That was the last quilt I did by hand. After that, I quilted another queen-size on my home machine. That was work. Then I found a KenQuilt with a table-frame and machine. Arthritis reared its ugly head on my right hand then so had to stop to get that fixed. I am now back to quilting and just finished my second quilt on it. I need to redesign the roller cart the machine sits on to make it easier to roll and replace the take-up bars. The bars are from a table older than my machine. They have bowed over the years. I just have to figure out where to get 12' pipes and have the gears moved to the new pipes and then I can get started again.