View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 08:37 AM
OurWorkbench

Default April 2022 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 4

james-image5.jpg

james-image6.jpg

Janey

Janey made a tool roll up and started making a bag for a foot controller for an Emdeko machine.

There is a Surplus Tool store near where I work that has been there for 70 years and is going out of business. I picked up some wrenches that I want to use at work. For some of the hand tools, I like having my own, so that I know where they are. I decided I needed something to hold them together. I decided on some fabric that I got at a thrift store that is stiff. I decided on the 66-6 or 13 machine. I had gotten some snap on feet and thought I would try the adjustable bias tape binder foot. I had some 3/4" twill tape to bind the edges. For the most part it worked well. I did have to re-start a couple of times on the sides. I found that if I went from the single layer to the double layer that it did work better.

janey-toolrollup-compress.jpg

Then I was reminded of the Emdeko that takes cams and got it out. I realized that I had not made a bag for the foot controller, nor had I tried the cams. So I found some other fabric (from the thrift store) that I believe is used in upholstery work. It was a heavy flannel type fabric. I wasn't sure what size or type of bag, but thought that I would start using the cams in order. I found two that would not fit on the post. Also using the cams, you have to set it to put the cam in and used the same "lock" to unlock for the cam follower to work. There was one complete row that I forgot to unlock when I started sewing. I have since removed that row and re did it. There were a couple of others that I started and realized I hadn't unlocked. There were also some tension issues. As it turns out the presser foot wasn't releasing the tension discs. I was able to remove it only to find that it really did not screw in like some of the other machines nor could you separate the assembly. The pin does work, sometimes. I probably should have changed the check spring as the part that is supposed to go into the channels on the stem was bent out of shape. I could not get it bent correctly so ended up just snipping it off. I was able to finally finish using all the cams that would fit on the post. I still haven't decided on how I'm going to make it into a drawstring bag as I wanted all the stitched rows to be kind of even around the bag. I also will use some other fabric for the top of the bag as I do not want the abrasion of the drawstring against the fluffy/linty material that I used.

janey-emdekotension-compress.jpg

In Closing

We appreciate the efforts of our members with their write-ups and pictures which we present here. As always, we will post again next month.