Thread: Y-Seams!
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 06:44 AM
quiltscapades

Default Y-Seams!

This quilt came about from a Design Challenge in my local quilt guild last year. The challenge was to make a quilt using triangle blocks, and to pick colors out of a crayon box. I got purple orange and bluegreen - not a combo I usually sew with!

I had been wanting to make this quilt for some time, and had realized that three half-hexies can be sewn together to make a triangle! The challenge was a perfect motivation. However, they must be sewn using a Y-seam, which I had avoided for about 20 years!

Y-seams turned out sooooo much easier than I imagined! Especially with a gentle 60-degree angle of the hexie units. The intersection fans out perfectly.

The triangle blocks are sewn into columns, then extra half-hexie blocks are added to the top and bottom to finish the design. Making this quilt is so much easier than you would think! The tricky part is laying out the lights, mediums, and darks to create the design. But the construction was a breeze.

Even the odd-angled binding was a challenge, but by clipping a notch at the inner corners, I could fold the quilt out of the way and apply the binding in a straight line, so it worked out!

All in all, this was a great challenge for me! I'm calling it my "Ypsilon" quilt - that's the Greek letter "Y": Y-seams, Y-shapes, it's a Y-Quilt! How do you feel about Y-seams? I say, Y-not?

Last edited by quiltscapades; 04-09-2022 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Add the story.