Old 04-28-2022, 12:53 PM
berrynice

Smile Wanting to reproduce a Cherry Quilt made by Great Grandmother

I had a quilt on my bed when I was a child that my Great Grandmother had made. It was the size of a bedspread (hung almost to the floor) that I had on a full size bed. I would really like to make one like it, only making it queen size bedspread length, however I can't picture the entire quilt as a whole, but I remember snap shots of it in my minds eye (if that makes sense). I don't know if it was from a pattern or if she had just made it up herself. She made quite a lot of quilts, but unfortunately, when we moved as a child, my mother sold all of the quilts to lessen our moving load.

Any how, as much as I would have loved to have some of her quilts, they are long gone, but I would really like to reproduce this one.

It was an all white background, both the front and the back of the quilt. It was a applique quilt with cherries on it and it had a scalloped edging/border. The only colors on the quilt were the red of the cherries, the red binding, and the black stems on the cherries, with green leaves and slightly curling vines.

The part I remember the most was that on the scalloped corners, there were 3 cherries with stems and leaves so that when the bed was made, they hung down like a pleat on the corners of the bed.

In the center, I'm remembering that there was a circle of cherries with leaves connected with a vine of green between the bunches, inside the circle there were 4 or 5 separate bunches of cherries with stems and leaves and outside of that center scattered around were smaller bunches of cherries with stems and leaves.

There was a lot of white space all over the quilt so it wasn't over loaded with cherries etc. Everything on the quilt was applique on a white background and all of the applique was solid red or grass green or black (stems), none of the fabric had any designs on them, just solid color.

Also, around the scalloped edging, on each scallop there was a small bunch of 3 cherries with leaves and stems and between each completely around the scallops the cherries were connected with a 'vine' of green.

It was quilted with lines spreading out from the center circle like beams. I don't remember how the center was quilted. All of the appliques were quilted around their edges as well and the 'lines' of quilting didn't go over the appliques just to their edges and then started again.

Does this ring a bell with anyone.

Last edited by berrynice; 04-28-2022 at 01:05 PM.